Will Rogers Gardens began in 912 when Oklahoma City leaders purchased 160 acres of land once used as a dairy farm. The acreage went unused for 25 years, until 1932 when this land was developed for a cornerstone park. Throughout the 1930s, the city worked with the Works Projects Administration (WPA) and the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) to shape the land. Without a renewed interest in these historic structures and plant collections, that irreplaceable landscape will vanish.
|City/Town: • Oklahoma City|
|Location Class: • Government|
|Built: 1932 | Abandoned: 1932|
|Historic Designation: • National Register of Historic Places (2005)|
|Status: • Saved|
|Contributor: Preservation Oklahoma|
|Year(s) Listed: • 2005|