The Edwards Store, established in 1850, is one of the few remaining original structures that were stage stops on the Butterfield Overland mail and stage line from St. Louis to San Francisco from 1858 to 1861. Stage passengers were served meals at this location. Thomas Edwards established the trading post on the Fort Smith-Boggy Depot Road and it later became the original post office and site of the town of Red Oak. The structure is of “dog trot” design typical of the 19th Century and built from hewn logs. Edwards’s Store is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Edwards Store was on the Most Endangered Places list in 2013 and 2018.
|City/Town: • Red Oak|
|Location Class: • Commercial • Residential|
|Built: 1850 | Abandoned: 1850|
|Historic Designation: • National Register of Historic Places (1972, 2022)|
|Status: • Under Renovation|
|Contributor: Preservation Oklahoma|
|Year(s) Listed: • 2013 • 2018 • 2019|