Empty for decades, the Walcourt has long caught the attention of Oklahoma City residents and visitors, inspiring fantasies and questions about its history with its impressive but lonely appearance.
The Walcourt Apartment Building was constructed in 1927 in the Gothic style, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. Its major period of use was from the time of its opening through the 1950s, when it was a posh apartment building for business people working downtown. Architect Joe Davis, builder Charles Beveridge, and consulting engineer and owner of the property, H.E. Musson, gave great attention to detail to create stylish apartments with high-end fixtures, including Kohler fixtures, genuine maple wood trim, and Shaeffer mantles in every unit. The imposing brick and cast stone exterior appealed to oilmen and bankers flocking to Oklahoma City during periods of prosperity.
Years of vacancy raise concern about deterioration, deferred maintenance, and damage caused by people and animals seeking shelter within. Owners reportedly have no plans to demolish the building but need help to see it put back into use. As surrounding neighborhoods see redevelopment and revitalization, this grand building is ripe for rehabilitation.