The Mayo Hotel was built in 1925, designed by architect George Winkler, and financed by John D. and Cass A. Mayo. The base of two-story Doric columns supports fourteen floors marked with false terracotta balconies, and a two-story crown of stone and a dentiled cornice. At the time the 600-room hotel was the tallest building in Oklahoma. Ceiling fans in each room and Tulsa’s first running ice water made the hotel a haven from summer heat.
(Photo by Camerafiend at English Wikipedia, CC BY-SA 3.0 <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/>, via Wikimedia Commons)