The Nickel Ensor McClure House was built in 1909 for businessman and banker George Nickel. The house was designed by architect George Barber as a modified mail order design. The buff colored brick house is in a Romanesque Revival style. It was built by local builder J.E. Peoples. George Nickel owned the house until 1932 when the bank he was president failed. The house then briefly served as the local Elks Lodge. In 1940 the house was purchased by Dr. Daniel Ensor, who was the chief of staff at the local hospital. The home remained in Ensor family until 1962. The house was then purchased Wade and Jane McClure, who were involved in a prominent insurance company in town. The house has changed hands a few times since then. The house appears to be in excellent condition.
|City/Town: • Alva|
|Location Class: • Residential|
|Built: 1909 | Abandoned: 1909|
|Historic Designation: • National Register of Historic Places (2010)|
|Status: • Saved|
|Contributor: Preservation Oklahoma|
|Year(s) Listed: • 2009|