In the early part of the 20th century, there were few public structures available for the education of African-American citizens. The Julius Rosenwald Fund was established in 1917 to provide funding for the construction of African-American schools. The Union Community Center of Stella is one of the few remaining Rosenwald Schools in Oklahoma and was the only school constructed in Cleveland County. The Union Separate District 1 ½ School was constructed in 1927-28.
|City/Town: • Newella|
|Location Class: • School|
|Built: 1928 | Abandoned: 1928|
|Status: • Endangered|
|Contributor: Preservation Oklahoma|
|Year(s) Listed: • 2013|